Se Habla Espanol
MENU

How Much Can I Recover from Filing a Personal Injury Case in Los Angeles?


December 24, 2013

How Much Can I Recover from Filing a Personal Injury Case in Los Angeles?

The amount you are able to recover from a personal injury law suit in Los Angeles is based upon the type of accident and extent of your injuries. Further, there must be another party that was negligent in some manner involved in the accident. What this means is that the amount of negligence does vary, from one case to another. In some situations, the other party is entirely at fault, so the maximum amount for the case can be sought.

On the other hand, if they were only partially to blame, then the amount is adjusted accordingly. For example, you were 25 percent at fault for causing the accident. The other party would be held accountable for the other 75 percent. The maximum monetary damages for your type of lawsuit are reduced by 25 percent. Your personal injury lawyer in Los Angles will cover this in more detail after your initial consultation and case evaluation.

In addition, the amount you recover can be different, if you accept a settlement offer, instead of taking your case to court in front of a judge. Some people choose to take the settlement, rather than having to relive the pain and suffering they experienced while they recount their testimony to the judge. It should be noted that in certain situations, it might be more beneficial to go to court, like if the insurance company does not want to meet your settlement proposal. Again, your attorney will work in your best interests to guarantee you receive the maximum amount possible, either with a settlement, or by taking your case to court.

Kyle Madison is a member of: