February 11, 2014
There are several items you need to remember to bring along with you for your initial visit to your Los Angeles accident lawyer. To help prepare, your attorney or their legal assistant will normally tell you what they require. It is a good idea to make your own list, if one is not sent to you ahead of your appointment. You should also get a three-ring spiral-bound folder with pockets for keeping all the materials related to your personal injury case.
A common list of items your Los Angeles attorney lawyer may ask you to bring could include:
- A copy of the police report or your case number.
- A copy of the accident report for accidents where a police report is not created, like if you were injured in a retail store or while at work.
- Medical records related to your injuries or a release form provided by your lawyer so they are able to obtain copies.
- Copies of medical bills that you have received from your emergency room visit, hospitalization, and office visits to your doctor for treating your injuries.
- Receipts for related out-of-pockets medical expenses, such as prescriptions and medical devices.
- A written account of the accident in your own words. It often helps to recall events more accurately as you write it down on paper. You may remember certain details you would otherwise forget when giving a verbal report to your attorney.
- A list for other expenses you have incurred as the result of your personal injury. This could include transportation expenses, lost wages from your job, and other such items. If you are unsure about an expense, go ahead and put it on your list. Your attorney will let you know whether it can be recovered through your lawsuit.